The latest divestment has further reduced the number of large exhibitors at the show.
What you need to know
- OnePlus, AMD and MSI have given up plans to attend CES 2022 in person.
- AMD said it is turning to virtual exhibitions to protect the health of its employees and partners.
- The organizers of the event are still determined to hold the trade show in January.
Cancel the list of companies that personally participate in CES 2022 and continue to add new major suppliers. Due to the increase in Omicron variant infections, OnePlus, AMD and MSI have joined the growing CES outflow.
According to CNET, AMD is turning to virtual experiences to ensure that its employees and partners are protected from the new COVID-19 variant. The semiconductor company said: “After careful consideration, AMD decided to cancel our face-to-face display at the 2022 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, and instead transition to a virtual experience.”
AMD previously announced that its 2022 product premiere on January 4 will only be held online, which will highlight its upcoming Ryzen processors and Radeon graphics cards. AMD added: “Although the AMD 2022 product premiere has always been planned to be a purely digital live broadcast, in the best interest of the health and safety of our employees, partners and communities, our face-to-face participation will now transition to virtual.”
MSI also stated in a press release that its decision to cancel physical attendance at CES was due to the increasing number of Omicron cases in the United States. Instead, it will showcase its upcoming products through online events, such as MSI-Gameverse on January 4 and MSI-Verse on January 5.
OnePlus co-founder and CEO Pete Lau previously hinted that the OnePlus 10 Pro will be launched in January, which is the company’s next challenger to the best Android phone. This has prompted some speculation that this flagship phone will be unveiled at the 2022 International Consumer Electronics Show. But this does not seem to be the case anymore.
These companies are the latest exhibitors to withdraw from upcoming events. Recently, Google and Waymo abandoned their face-to-face CES plan due to health and safety issues, following in the footsteps of other major vendors such as Amazon, T-Mobile, Meta, Twitter, and Microsoft.
Despite this, the Consumer Technology Association, the organizer of the event, showed no signs of withdrawing. CTA believes that existing health and safety precautions will protect CES attendees.